There are two (02) essential steps that you should follow to save your cost and time if you are planning to have a trip to Vietnam.
Check if your nationality is included in the Vietnam visa exemption list.
With open policy to attract more travelers to Vietnam, the Vietnam Government has granted Vietnam visa exemption to citizens of some particular countries, as such those travelers do not need a visa to enter Vietnam for specific periods.
Click here to see the Vietnam visa exemption list.
Check how to get a visa for Vietnam.
If your nationality is NOT INCLUDED in the Visa Waiver list, or you are a citizen of the countries mentioned earlier and wish to stay in Vietnam for more than granted exemption days, you need a visa for Vietnam. In this case, you may have up to 02 ways as follows to get a visa to Vietnam.
But before application, make sure that:
- Your passport is valid for at least 06 months following your date of entry into Vietnam;
- Your passport has at least 02 blank pages for visa and immigration stamps.
- Other required documents will depend on the type of Vietnam visa you choose to apply.
Now, let’s go in details.
1. Apply for Vietnam Visa at Local Embassy
This method should be applicable to those:
- Whose travel plan is to arrive in Vietnam by land/sea/air
- Who wish to obtain a fully stamped visa before departure to Vietnam
Detailed instructions and procedures of how to get a visa for Vietnam are often not published by Vietnam Embassies. Some embassies accept visa applications directly from applicants, and some accept them submitted via a local center. You should directly contact nearest Vietnam Embassy or Vietnam Consulate for more information.
The requirements may vary by embassy; however, to help you have an overview of applying for Vietnam visa at the embassy, we will show you some common requirements of embassies:
For a tourist visa, you need to prepare:
- Original passport: have at least 6 months of validation following your arrival date to Vietnam. A copy of the passport is required for people requesting a loose-leaf visa.
- Application form: download on the website of the embassy or take it right at the embassy.
- One (01) passport photo: taken recently and without glasses. For a loose-leaf visa, please prepare 01 extra photos.
- Mail service: if you wish to get your passport back by post (USPS and FedEx is recommended), please prepare a return envelope which is self-addressed and prepaid.
- Visa fees: depends on the visa type you apply for; must be company check, cashier’s check, or money order. If you go to the embassy directly, cash is also accepted.
For business visa: a sponsor letter from your company or sponsor agency in Vietnam is required. Sometimes, a visa approval letter issued by the Vietnam Immigration Department is required. The processing time may be 03- 05 working days.
2. Apply Vietnam Visa On Arrival
An alternative way to get a visa for Vietnam online is to pick up the visa on arrival at Vietnam international airports after applying online for an approval letter. To get it, please follow these steps:
- Complete an online application form to get pre-approved visa letter;
- Get the approval letter via email within 02 working days (with normal service), and 02-03 working hours (with urgent service);
- Board the plane and show the visa approval letter, entry and exit form, 2 passport-sized photos 4x6cm, original passport and pay visa stamping fee (in cash) to the Immigration officials upon arrival at Vietnam airports to get visa stamped on your passport.
Note: Visa on arrival is applied for Air Travel only.